[Photo By: Gabrielle Kai]

Wednesday, January 5

The Perfect Day

It truly was.

From the moment I woke up... I felt a burst of energy (which never happens) and I woke up on time without my alarm. I got to sleep in a bit longer than my usual 5:30AM routine for work, which was amazing on its own. I washed my face, didn't change, and left the house. For the first time since I've lived in my house, the moment I stepped out onto my porch to start the day I was able to see the mountains as clear as ever. It was incredible. I've seen mountains before, but not from this far of a distance, it was beautiful. The air was clean and everything was bright and shiny. The weather was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect way to start the day.

I drove to my friend Hannah's to do some Yoga. Haven't been since my month long trial, but I felt it was time to get back into the swing again. It always made a big difference on my body and how I felt so I didn't want it to become a distant memory. This morning, my phone was dead so there wasn't any way of calling her to let her know I was on my way or right outside her door at 10AM. So I did what any person would do... I threw rocks at her bedroom window. To me, this was hilarious... I don't know if she thought so but it worked.

We made some tea, ate a little bit of breakfast, and sat and relaxed for a few minutes before stating the routine. She used the set that I bought her for christmas (which by the way is the coolest yoga set I've ever seen... came with a great mat, two blocks, a strap, and an instructional DVD). Where's mine?! Haha.

The DVD was awesome. It wasn't the longest routine but it definitely did the trick. The instructor, Rodney Yee, was also great. The thing with doing routines at home (and not in a classroom setting) is that you're able to be a lot more loose and free, and not so precise. That's not exactly a good thing. Although you are more relaxed, you do tend to slip at making jokes and imitating things that shouldn't be repeated because it shouldn't have been funny in the first place. I definitely lost a few poses due to the childish comments that both Hannah and I made. I kept a gaze of amazement with how toned his body was and how healthy he looked. I was pretty envious of that... I shouldn't be, but I think it's just more motivation for me to reach a goal I set for myself summers ago. I guess I'll see eventually!

For some reason, on the ride to her house this morning, I felt the uncontrollable urge to go to a spot that I haven't been to in years. It's beautiful and not too far of a drive from where we were. San Pedro/ Palos Verdes. I decided to bring it up when I got there and once I did she was in. It was a no brainer... perfect day... no work... no plans... why not?! So after Yoga, we picked up some goodies (food) from Trader Joe's. Haven't eaten an ounce of healthy food since I can remember and I've been feeling awful and guilty ever since. I owe it to myself to do my body right and to feel good about eating what I'm eating. Picked the food brought along our mats and blankets and headed up the bridge.

Got there in no time. Listened to some of my favorite bands/ artists today and just went with the flow. On our way, we were both describing these "spots" that were the best "spots" ever and that nobody knows about. Of course, I was talking about one place and she was talking about another... Or so we thought. Once we arrived at "my" perfect spot that I haven't been to in years we finally come to realize that we were both talking about the same spot the entire time! We just didn't know it because we haven't ever been to this same spot together. Who woulda thunk it? It was pretty awesome though. We found a nice grassy spot, set up and had our little picnic on the cliff. Yes... the cliff. It was amazing. So calm and relaxing; I could have stayed there all day.

Our day wasn't over though. After lunch, we drove back towards San Pedro and stopped by the rock beach. I can't remember the name of it right now but all I know is that it's a little ways past the friendship bell park. I'm a lot better with relative location than I am with actual street names and locations. Anyway, we walked down the crooked steps and soaked it all in. Everything was so beautiful. We arrived here just in time for the sunset also which made it even better. Once it got chilly, we headed home.

As we're driving home we look at the clock and realize that the time we spent having such a lazy Tuesday afternoon was only about 3 hours long. It felt like we spent more than 6 hours there! It blew my mind. I remember leaving her house around 2 and getting there at 2:30. Soon enough, it was only 5:00PM!

I feel like when you're just letting the day happen, and enjoying it for what it is, you really get a sense of what's around you. We took up as much time enjoying the day and each other's company that we didn't look at the watch once. We were just there. I compared a day like this to any other ordinary day... constantly looking at the clock, meeting deadlines here and there... having to be at three places at once, never looking away from the clock... those days added up to a lot of stress and a lot of long days that felt like years because I wanted it to end.

Today was different. In a way it was short, but it felt like forever. It felt like it was time well spent. Sure it wasn't anything out of this world incredible, but it was a good day to take advantage of and I'm glad it was taken outdoors. I should try and let go of devices and forget about time because maybe then I'll enjoy myself more with the ordinary mundane things. Time did not fly by today and for once I'm glad that it didn't.

[Pictures will be up soon]

No comments: