[Photo By: Gabrielle Kai]

Tuesday, January 11

Shakin' & Bakin'

So I've had the opportunity to do what I love most at work... BAKE! I started today with two different cookies. Before I go into detail about what happened and how I completely ruined the first batch, I'll say that the last two batches came out delicious. On Sunday, I went over to my friend's house where she let me use her oven to make apple and pear streusel pie. YUM! Came out amazingly. I'll finish off with the disaster story...

So I'm making two different batch of cookies. One was ready to be baked right away (classic chocolate chip with walnuts) and the other had to settle for an hour (peanut butter blossoms). While the chocolate chip cookies were in the oven I go to check on them and realize that the dough just turned into a gooey mess that bled into each other. I was panicked, and I had no idea what happened or what I could have done wrong! I've done this before! So... I go to check my ingredients, and everything that I put in. I suddenly realize that the big blue container that I thought was all purpose flour was really POWDERED SUGAR! NO WONDER! So there was basically no saving it. It caramelized and hardened within the first 30 seconds. What a waste of everything. So yeah, that's what happened.

I'm glad I stayed and finished off the second batch, I would have been pretty bummed. I wonder what I'll bake up next!

[ The container is labeled now by the way ]

No comments: